Today, I was working on a brochure to help people identify poison ivy. The request for this information came from a few friends who experienced mild to severe lingering cases of poison ivy rash this past summer. I am thankful that I rarely get much more than a blister or two and that I have had the opportunity to hone my identification skills in my gardening business. It seems I am often found preaching that we need to respect the power of this tenacious vine.
In the process of pulling together helpful information, I came across an article titled, “Climate Change Brings Super Poison Ivy”. Now that caught my attention! The author is reporting on a study that shows larger, stronger, and more potent plants as a result of increased carbon dioxide levels. The article went on to caution people and suggest cures if one does get the rash. BUT my brain went somewhere else…
Something like this happened in a flash: Wait. If poison ivy is evolving in this way, it is acting as a counter balance to the increased carbon dioxide levels. It is responding to a real need and actually assisting us. Not only should we respect it’s power, but we should be downright grateful that it has responded in this way to assist the very beings that spend an inordinate amount of time trying to eradicate it from their gardens.
What a wonderful reminder this has been for me! A reminder for me to flow with change, to not judge so quickly or so harshly. I am again aware of the power in all things…the life intelligence in all things, the good in all creation. What a reminder of how we are all connected, and how any one change ripples outward and causes responses in the whole. Such a beautiful reminder for me to remember the beauty in all. And all this from, of all things, humble Poison Ivy! With apologies to my friends mentioned above, maybe it is not poison afterall!